Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tijuana Estuary

I had the wonderful opportunity to attend a workshop at the Tijuana Estuary.  Since I began teaching environmental science I wanted to visit the estuary.  Even though I grew up just a 15 minute drive away, I had never been.  So I jumped on this opportunity and hopefully in the future I will be able to take a group of interested students to tour it as well.
Here I am at what I believe is called spooner's mesa.  It was a horribly bumpy ride that only state parks and border patrol vehicles are allowed to drive.  But it is open to the public by foot and bike.  This is the Tijuana river valley north of the border. 
Because Tijuana is not properly and completely plumbed when it rains there is lots of erosion and here is one of the sedimentation basins and piles of sediment.
This was my first time ever on the beach south of the river mouth.  It's only accessible part of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment