Sunday, February 8, 2009

garden etc.






Its been a very busy week with work and the puppies. I wasn't expecting what has come my way in caring for dogs. I never was much of an animal fan growing up and for the past few years at least, I have claimed to hate all animals. I have never gotten excited to pet people's dogs in the past or anything. I've always been much more of a plant person. But back in September when a colleague of mine gave me my fish tank at school and I started keeping that up, I got interested in it. Now I truly enjoy it and love watching the babies that my fish have grow up. I am looking forward to when I can bring all of my fish and things home. After getting used to fish and being in the new house, I decided that I wanted a puppy. Then we ended up with two; and I love both of them. I can't believe that I hug them and hold them and kiss them and clean up after them. They are very time consuming because they have energy and poop a lot. Everyday last week I came home to 6 doo doos and a house smelling like shit to clean up which isn't fun but I'm getting used to it. Rambo was trained well but Dino was not and so Dino is untraining Rambo and well, we're going to have to start working on potty training them.
Now, I have always wanted to grow my own vegetables and since purchasing the house, knew that I would have a nice productive garden. I had plans to move the fence out about 5 feet and put a 3 foot fence on the other side of my side yard so that I could keep the dogs out. Then I was going to work on grading the soil and enriching it. But since I already bought the seeds, I figured I'll just throw them in the ground and see what happens. I know I should germinate them and everything first but I'm just going to see what happens. I'm doing a quick and easy experimental garden and I'll definitely learn from it. So this morning I got up and since it's been raining the mud is very easy to move around. I flattened out the area for my garden then put in the 2 buckets of worm castings that I harvested from my classroom worm composting bin in December. I spread that all around them measured the garden 19x9 feet and planted my seeds. I am excited to see what sprouts, I'm expecting to have a few sprouts by next weekend. I planted tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos, cilantro, cucumber, zucchini, yellow squash, green onions, carrots, beets, cantaloupe, and potatoes. I still want to plant eggplant, garlic, maybe strawberries, regular onions and asparagus but I might not have enough room. Then in the afternoon we went over to my in laws and they gave us a guava tree which I am excited to plant,
as well as chile to dry out and plant,

epasote which is an herb I think that I don't know much about except it goes well in quesadillas,



and mint (inside the guava tree pot above). I love mint and am really happy to have some in my own garden. I am still missing lime and orange trees but it's definitely coming along faster than I expected. I was planning on finishing painting the kitchen today but with the rain and moisture, I couldn't - hopefully next weekend.
This coming week is very busy
Optometrist Monday and Saturday, Lasik on Friday, work Tuesday through Thursday, meeting Tuesday after work, parent night Wednesday evening, field trip Thursday
Hopefully I will take some pictures and post.

No comments:

Post a Comment