Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

I spent half of the day making a cake.
Since I'm dairy free I had to substitute coconut milk and coconut oil for the milk and butter. 
I attempted to make this neopolitan cake without the food coloring. 

I started w/ betty crocker's devils food cake with cocoa butter cream frosting.  I have never piped anything besides ugly letters and dots so this was my first time with flowers.  I followed the instructions and liked how they came out but doing them sideways was a little difficult.
 Then I made a fresh strawberry cake with strawberry frosting.  Last summer I had made cupcakes a few times and received lots of compliments but I couldn't find the recipe anywhere.  I spent an hour looking for it online and had to settle for this one.
 Apparently I put too much puree in the frosting and made it too thin. 
 I think it ended up okay except I didn't put roses on the top.  I used 7.5 cups of sugar and 1 cup of coconut oil for the frosting.   I don't think I needed to make extra for roses on top but maybe next time I will.
 And it had a bad side.
 Here you can see the cake layers.  I did not use any food coloring, just fresh strawberries which is why the middle layer of cake isn't red or pink.
 I'm not sure why it looks like a staircase up the side.  I think I'll have to work on getting my layers more even in the future.
 Jorge took Jorgito in the pool for a while.  He loved it and didn't want to get out.  Last summer he always listened and obeyed when it was time but this time he stayed in a little after Jorge got out.  He used to be so cautious but this time started taking risks which scared us of course.  Time to buy a swim floatie thing.
 My mom wore Joaquin for a little bit.  I was so happy.  I love wearing him and seeing her wear him.  It's so much easier than leaving him inside to sleep alone and worry that we won't hear him, etc.
 My mom w/ 8 of her 9 grandkids.  Johnny was napping.
 For the first time Johnny held Joaquin and just loved him. 
 Johnny and Jorgito love giving hugs and playing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment