Thursday, April 21, 2011

Naturally

Another vent...
I get SO frustrated when people mistakenly say they "birthed naturally."
People there is NOTHING natural about...
1) epidurals
2) any other pain medication
3) pitocin
4) any other type of induction
5) even an IV

It's cool if you want to use those things.  You know I never would and I encourage everybody I know not to because they're NOT natural and I believe in doing things naturally.  But if you've educated yourself and made the decision to use those things fine, just don't claim that just because your baby came out of your vagina it was a natural birth.

My sister-in-law with her third child chose to follow her doctors instructions of being induced at 37 weeks because of hypertension.  Of course that could have been fixed with diet but...
So she went in for a full induction, cervitol I think it's called, lots of pitocin, had one shot of Demerol while pushing I think then after the baby came out the placenta wouldn't release so she had 2 other quick drugs to make her pass out while the doctor ripped out the placenta.  And after all of that she claims that because she didn't take the epidural she had a natural birth.  I cringe every time I hear her tell somebody that he was born naturally.

Then today an FB friend claimed that a year ago she couldn't wait to get to the hospital for her epidural then birthed naturally just hours before a scheduled cesarean.  NO there is nothing natural about an epidural mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment