Saturday, September 19, 2009

How to birth...

A few weeks ago I finished reading Birthing From Within. I was very satisfied with it and planned to make my way through labor however I could most comfortably. It doesn't matter if I'm standing, walking, squatting, kneeling, whatever, as long as I manage to get through each contraction. I like that it provides pain coping techniques but I did not practice them because I was still going to take the class and left the practice for the class.
Well classes started last week and I am looking forward to my next class tomorrow.
In the meantime I started reading Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way. One of the midwives that we interviewed when choosing our home birth attendant recommended that we take Bradley classes because I am a Biology teacher and it is a very detailed scientific based method of birthing. I looked into classes but chose not to take them for a few reasons. I didn't want to pay the $350 and I didn't want to go to classes during the week because it's too hard for Jorge after work. Also the Birthing From Within theory discouraged me against the whole coaching model. Well now it's too late because the classes are 12 weeks long and I'm due in 9 weeks. But I'm king of wishing that I had taken that series so that Jorge would know how to help me.
Some of the ideas in both birthing methods are the same and some are different. I just don't know how I'm going to go through the labor. My mom had 4 successful births the Bradley way so maybe she'll step in and coach me if I need it. My sisters have had 6 successful births without using any type of training but they did have pain. And I just read that it is possible to have labor without pain.
So I don't know what to do. Hopefully the next 3 BFW classes will clear everything up for me and give me back confidence.

1 comment:

  1. You will have pain in childbirth but it is unlike anything you have ever felt before. It depends on if you panic when the pain comes or say to yourself thank you pain I welcome you because this is how my baby is going to come out of my body!
    What helped me in my last birth is that I offered up the pain for a past sin and then I repeated Thank you Jesus over and over again with each contraction.

    ReplyDelete