Back when I was 13 years old, I went to Pennsylvania to visit a friend for a couple weeks over summer break between middle school and high school. While there I met a friend of hers who had sewn herself a comforter out of worn out denim jeans. I thought it was a wonderful idea and decided to make one of my own. After too many broken needles on my mom's sewing machine, I went to Costco and used money from working at my parents shop to buy myself a sewing machine. After completing that project as a 9th grade assignment I didn't use the thing very much so my sister adopted it when I was 20 years old. For the past 6 years I've been without my own sewing machine. And for the past year I've really been wanting one.
So, for Christmas, I bought myself the last sewing machine at Costco. I was so excited driving home with it.
The next day I went to Joann's. I had the WORST customer service ever and will not be going back to that location. But I got my fabrics and came home to make 6 reusable cotton sandwich bags which I gave to my Environmental Club students as prizes. I am so proud of myself. I was a little concerned it would take me a while to figure out how to use the contraption but I soon learned it was just like riding a bike. Now I am out of fabric and needing more to make some snack bags.
Here is the tutorial I used http://wewilsons.blogspot.com/2009/02/reusable-snack-bag-tutorial.html.
I used the outer cotton, two layers of white cotton in the middle and then white ripstop nylon for the waterproof inside. Here is my first one. I definitely need practice in making the lines straight.






No comments:
Post a Comment