I spent my Friday night slaving in the kitchen making my dad's homemade Father's Day present. He LOVES orange marmalade and I thought it would be awesome to make some with the blood oranges from his tree. I was imagining a beautifully pink jelly like the color of ruby red grapefruit.
I was going to take pictures of the steps but the site I followed did a pretty good job of that.
It was my first time preserving citrus and it took a long time. The strawberry jam I made was easy considering I added the pectin from a box. With marmalade the pectin is in the citrus rinds and membranes so it takes a lot of boiling to release the pectin and get it to a jelly consistency. I got tired and turned it off before I thought it was supposed to be so I was worried it wouldn't set right. But it did end up setting and I had it on my toast this morning. It was delicious. I had never had marmalade before. Well maybe I had since I think I was afraid of trying it because it would be too sour. But this was amazing like sweet jelly with a citrus flavor. My dad called this afternoon and said that I need to go into a gourmet jam business! To which I replied he needs to grow a bigger tree!Of course Jorgito made his Papa, Abueltio and Daddy cards.
Jorge had a craving for pan dulce in the morning so he and Jorgito went to pick some up and when he came back he found his present waiting for him.
Too bad he had guessed the night before and already knew what we had bought him. And he loves his new blower!
After pan dulce we FINALLY went to see the Avengers. We had been wanting to since it came out but we've just been so busy or not had a babysitter. It was really great getting to go out with my husband two days in a row. Then we went to his parents house because his mom made him menudo which he had been asking me for for months. He knew I would never make that at my house so thankfully his mom made it for him.
And finally we went to my parents house.
I have never liked orange marmalade until I ate yous, it was delicious!
ReplyDelete