Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Pregnant

So, Jorge and I are trying to get pregnant. For a while now I've had this wonderful plan to have a baby when I was 25. The perfect time to have my baby would be in early March (conceive in May) so that I would be able to take the rest of the school year off and summer for a total of 6 months home with my baby before returning to work. Unfortunately, in my district, you have to accumulate your sick days to use them for maternity leave. This means that I would have had to work 3 full years and earn 10 days per year without using any to get my 30 days/6 weeks paid maternity leave. Well, last year I took 1 sick day and 3 personal days for my wedding. This year I have taken 1 sick day, 1 personal day (Lasik) and 1 bereavement day. So after this year, I will only have 13 days of full paid leave. I have plenty of half pay days which are much better than nothing. The point is, I think I will only be able to take 8 weeks off/2 months then return to work. I have asked my principal for 80% next year regardless of whether or not I conceive because full time is just too much work. I am not sure that he will give it to me so when I am pregnant I will talk to my union rep and see what we can work out. So if I'm returning to work early, then there's really no point in waiting to get pregnant. So we're trying now.
In addition, last night I received a call from my sister-in-law that my husband's cousin Ericka is pregnant. She is 6 months older than me and got married two months after (in August) and is already pregnant. Of course, I am jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment