Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Because he loves me

Jorge surprised me with flowers today! I had been thinking when I was at Vons doing my weekly grocery shopping and seeing the flowers that it's been a while since he brought home flowers - since the day we found out we conceived. I didn't say anything but apparently he was thinking the same thing - and of course he does it on the 14th - our monthaversary because surprisingly he keeps track. He's so sweet.

So the drama for today... I got a message from the midwives at UCSD. They had told me a couple weeks ago they couldn't treat me anymore because I was receiving care elsewhere and was now a liability to them. So I was really surprised to receive a message from the midwife who knew I am doing a home birth. I called back a few times and couldn't get through to her so another midwife finally told me why she was calling. I'll probably still talk to the original midwife tomorrow. But basically she said that because the baby's abdomen is measuring in the 97% percentile I am ineligible for a UCSD birth center birth. I had no idea that a baby could be diagnosed as too big to deliver in the birth center. I guess it's too risky because it is expected by them to be a difficult delivery. She said I can do another ultrasound at 36-37 weeks to see if he is still measuring too big or if it is okay for me to deliver in the birth center.
I am so glad that I've been seeing Sunshine all along. If not, after receiving this news today, I'm sure I'd be panicked and switch care to a home birth midwife in the 35/36th week!
Also, it is just so weird - but I guess that's just the system... that one midwife will say that my baby's too big, we need to monitor with another ultrasound, etc. and another will say the percentiles don't bother her at all, the baby feels normal size and everything should go perfectly fine for the remainder of the pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment