Monday, December 21, 2009

5 Weeks old

Today my baby is 5 weeks old. He enjoys laying on his changing table and looking out the window for a few minutes after each change. On the weekends however, his daddy doesn't like the window open because he doesn't want the neighbors to see his goods.
He is such a wonderful baby. He still only randomly smiles but is more and more alert each day and he was born quite alert so this is amazing. He loves to look at my face when he's nursing and is even holding or hugging my breast at many feedings. His eyes are blueish and Jorge is very excited thinking that he'll have "ojos de color." He keeps saying they'll be gray. I've never seen gray eyes and I want them to be a very nice brown so I'm looking forward to them changing to their permanent color. I think he has a little cradle cap so I'm very happy that he has lots of hair to cover it up. He occasionally enjoys his tummy time and swing but only occasionally. He really prefers to be in arms and talked to. Today we went shopping and it had been 3 hours since he'd eaten so I was expecting him to cry at any moment for food but surprisingly he stayed content in the stroller for 45 minutes. I think he was looking at it and learning about it.



I didn't realize until I saw this picture, that I think he has big eyes... I like big eyes.
Jorge has been working extremely long hours from 2:30 am to 6:30 pm lately since they went from 5 San Diego drivers to 2. The whole week he rarely spends time with his son. He might hold him for 30 minutes and that's it. So Saturday morning after I fed the baby, I woke Jorge up and told him it was time for him to finally learn how to take care of his son and what I do all week. So he got out of bed and took the baby to the changing table where he got to open up the worst diaper of his one month of life. It was so funny... he told me "es como me mandaste a la guerra sin armas." He told me to change it and I said no. I was so surprised that he actually did it successfully. He then chose the clothes and dressed the baby, entertained him and put him to sleep. He was so proud of himself successfully going through 3 EASY cycles. And I am happy too.



Then on Sunday my in-laws came over. It was only their second visit since Tre's birth. My father in law is completely appalled by breastfeeding and has to leave the house if it's time to nurse which is was happened on their first visit after 5 minutes. So since I wanted them to have a better visit this time, I heated up a bottle. Then Jorge decided we would drop off his truck and we left the baby for 20 minutes with them. I was so nervous because they don't even know him but then had to remind myself that they raised 2 kids and know what to do with a baby. His Abuelita as I want her to be called gave him a bottle, then we were home and everything was fine. My mom pointed out that if she is going to be taking care of him which is the plan for 2 days a week when I return to work, she really needs to get to know him so I'm glad that we left them together even though it was only a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment