Wednesday, January 6, 2010

living together

This past weekend, Jorge ended up having 4 days off since his truck had to be serviced. It was SO nice having him home and helping take care of the baby especially changing and getting him dressed in the mornings so I could stay in bed an extra hour. When he went back to work and I was alone all day with the baby it was different and I definitely missed him. Then I read an article in Mothering Magazine, "three generations, one roof" and I just love the idea of living in larger groups of family instead of the nuclear families we all live in now. Yes privacy and space are nice but so is community and help. I love to help other people when I can but I also need help. It would be so lovely for Tre if in the future, we lived with his grandparents. He could be close to them and have relationships with them which I didn't get growing up. I could be a stay at home mom. There are so many pros and cons to the situation and I am open to it in the future but for now, it's not happening.
Tonight I invited my in-laws over for dinner and rosca to celebrate el dia de los reyes magos. As soon as they arrived they were doting over the baby and entertaining him while I was able to cook dinner and fold laundry. Again it was so nice having someone take care of him while I got stuff done. I am so happy they love being with him. In the beginning of his life they didn't seem too interested in him and I figured they were just over having grandsons since they already had 3 but now they tell us whenever we want to bring him to visit over or leave him we're welcome to. We didn't put out our shoes but next year when Tre is older and understanding a little more, we will put out our shoes and see what the 3 kings bring us.
Oh yes... church. I was so suprised on Sunday when I woke up to get ready for church that Jorge didn't say no again! We went this time to Corpus Christi which is the closest catholic parish to our home. I thought that his is where we were going to baptise the baby. But it had been 15 years since I entered the building and didn't realize how cold it was. It was so uninviting, I know God was there but didn't feel it. The place was all steel and clear glass... no inviting, cozy warmth not even ushers welcoming us. Tre was alseep but when he sleep he makes lots of squeeking noises and sometimes in his dreams cries really loud but only 5 seconds then goes back to sleep. Well people around us started looking so I decided to take him into the cry room. Big mistake... there were kids like 5 years old playing. Their parents didn't even tell them to be quiet, sit down and learn how to attend church. They just let them play and I couldn't hear anything the priest was saying. After that, the kids who were in Sunday school were released early. I'm not sure what the point of their Sunday school is. Mass starts at 9, the kids go at 9:15 and come back at 9:45 and mass isn't supposed to end until 10. It was such a horrible disruption all of the kids coming back in the the sanctuary while the priest is still saying his homily. We left at 9:45 and won't be going back to that parish. I have a list of 7 different parishes and we'll be attending those till I find one I'm comfortable with which may be difficult since I wasn't raised Catholic but we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica. This has nothing to do with your post - I'm actually responding to your response on Vals page - I didn't realize I had my info hidden, so I fixed it! I just wanted to say that is an amazing gift you are giving her! I don't think anything compares to mommas milk - and I know she knows that too! I also wanted to give you a link to my birth story because I had a homebirth too so you might want to read it? http://eliskasblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/adelaides-birth-story.html
    It seems we are doing a lot of the same things and believe many of the same things about our children, so it might be fun to read if you get bored =) I love your blog -and I can tell you are a good mommy!

    ReplyDelete