Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Belly Cast

I had wanted to do a belly cast with Jorgito.  Unfortunately I listened to those who convinced me I would just be moving it around and storing it for 20 years and didn't make one.  Then I really wanted to do one this time but didn't ever get around to it.  And Jorge tried to convince me not to because Jorgito will be jealous of Joaquin since I didn't cast my belly with him.  It would have been really nice to do both bellies and be able to compare them.   I do recommend this for anybody yet to have children.  It's just a really unique way to preserve a memory that is so quickly forgotten. 
So I went to Michael's on my due date.  I had to find something to occupy my time!  And bought the plaster gauze.  My sister Natalie came over and casted my belly.  We used instructions from here.  Natalie asked what I planned to do with the cast and honestly I had dreamed of having it bronzed and using it as a chip and dip bowl.  You know to hold chips and it would have two containers for guacamole and salsa.  Genius right!  Too bad my boobs are saggy and it would be difficult to get the dips out!  So she found this website for bronzing.  And oh how we were shocked to see the $1,300 price tag!  So she suggested I go to Mexico!  We will see what ends up happening but for now at least I have a plaster belly cast curring in my garage.  Once it's completely dry (tomorrow)  I will photograph and post it.
As for tips on casting... I had the windows open so it would dry quickly.  But it dried too quickly and separated itself from my body before we had enough layers on it.  So if you do one, make sure you work quickly to add the layers for strength.  We got two layers done and used maybe 2.5 rolls of plaster gauze.

1 comment:

  1. Jessie, this blog post is hilarious...your funniest one yet! Your saggy boobs salsa and guacamole bowls was the best! :)

    ReplyDelete