Friday, April 16, 2010

Why Tre's not going to school reason #4

My students have no integrity. 
I am the advisor of the Environmental Club.  This is my first full year and I took more than 3 months off.  While I was gone the club was basically nonexistent which is fine since my substitute was too overwhelmed with the teaching job to open the door at lunch for the Enviro kids.  Upon my return I worked pretty hard planning events turning in forms for permission, etc. But despite this, my club fell apart.  I haven't seen the "treasurer" or the "secretary" in over a month.  I finally got the "president" to come in just to tell me that she quit.  This is the second year in a row that the club has fallen apart.  It's kind of like everything else I devote my time to.  Everything is an attempt that fails. 
As a kid I tried soccer and after my best friend who was on a different team that me and I held hands skipping across the field, I quit.  I tried ballet but just sat there on the stage pointing at my parents, again a failure and quit.  I tried soccer again but my parents forgot I existed and another mother took me home for a couple hours until they could get ahold of my parents to come pick me up.  So I quit.  I did karate for two years but when it came time to spar for the next promotion, I quit.  I played waterpolo in 9th grade but it kept me from my after school job so I quit.  I was in the marching band for a year and a half but although I can't remember why now, I quit. 
So I guess I can understand why kids get bored of something or it's too difficult and they quit.  But how am I supposed to have an Environmental Club with nobody who cares and wants to come!  We have about 2,400 students here and we need an active Environmental Club that makes a difference in the school wide community. And why do kids sign up for responsible positions if they're not going to fulfill them?  And why do the "members" let them quit and not step up.
So, Tre's not going to school because I don't want him to see the attitudes and unwillingness of other students to do good and work together.  I mean he will come to high school with me but by then he will have good values and not be drug down by his peers.
And now I have to try again to get an active environmental club at this school.

No comments:

Post a Comment