Saturday, March 20, 2010

4 month stats

We went to Tre's 4 month check up yesterday. He weighs 17lbs 7oz (91st percentile), 26 3/4 inches long (97th percentile), and his head is 17 1/4 inches (90th percentile).
The wait was over an hour which totally sucked but otherwise it was great. Of course Tre is perfectly healthy and she said not to start solids until 6 months even though he may want to before. When she asked "are we doing any vaccinations today?" I said "no." She had me initial a paper and that was it! While we were waiting forever we could hear the other little babies crying from their rooms after having their shots. It was so sad. We will go again when he's 6 months then I'll get to start making baby food!

About two weeks ago we found blood in Tre's poopy diaper. We were very alarmed and called the pediatrician. They called back and said it could be two things... too much milk, or allergies to something I'm eating and passing into the milk. That weekend I had nursed him before and after each nap so I was hoping it was just too much milk and it didn't happen again. Then Dr. Nakahara was following up on that issue and I said it hadn't happened again then she asked if his stool is mucousy which it is frequently slimy but still I never thought anything was wrong with that. What do I have to compare it to? He's my first baby and his temperament is always normal, he doesn't cry in pain or act any differently. She said that if we find blood again I need to do an elimination diet starting with dairy. So of course this afternoon, there was blood in his stool again. This time was less than last time but still spotted throughout. So I thought back to what I had eaten and I think that weekend we had bought pan dulce and had that with hot chocolate for breakfast so I had drank milk which is rare for me and that's what irritated him. Then this week I started eating ice cream every day with my gingerbread that I made and I think that's what caused it today. So I think dairy is the culprit and I looked it up to find out that it's the Bovine Protein which is in all cow products. Back when I was 18, upon the recommendation of my acupuncturist, I had to eliminate dairy products from my diet because I had allergies to other stuff and dairy made me too mucousy so now I have to do it again. I don't mind doing it for my son but it will be difficult now that I have to provide for my husband too since I don't think he'll be okay with having soy cheese and soy ice cream, etc. So as of today, no more cow. I just feel really bad that I had been eating a lot of ice cream and milk this week and it takes two weeks to get through my system and another 2 to get through his. Every time I nurse him I feel so guilty like I'm poisoning him but at least through time it will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment