Friday, March 5, 2010

A personal post...

So since it was asked for... I'll share my incidentS of the day...
I express my breast milk with my handy dandy Medela Freestyle breast pump at 10am and 2:15pm. Since I teach science I have a science prep room that is a hallway containing a sink, electric outlets, gas outlet, and tons of cabinets which connects my room with another science lab room that is not being used this year. It locks on both sides and there are no windows. I cleaned it out of all dangerous science stuff and tried my best to make it a clean pumping haven. So I go in there every morning and everything is always fine. Today when I went in I smelled a horrible gas smell. It made no sense since the only gas knob doesn't even turn. But oh well, I walked right back into my classroom and decided I had to pump there or I would explode. So I went and closed all of the blinds. I have 8 oversized windows and am at the far end of the campus so unless somebody's coming to see me, they're not in the area. Even with the blinds closed, a nosy person could peak through and since I've got some nosy pubescent boys, I pump in the prep room but today I didn't have a choice. Luckily I was wearing an oversized sweatshirt bought for $10... the only school sweaters they had left for spirit wear Fridays. So I hook up and there I am for the first time pumping at my desk and about 5 minutes in hear my classroom door being unlocked. I was in such shock I didn't know what to say or do when I saw my male vice principal there standing in my doorway looking right at me. I don't even remember what I managed to get out of my mouth but after about 30 seconds he realized and quickly turned around and shut the door. I went to see him when I was done to talk to him about what he came for and he apologized greatly and asked me when I do that so he'll remember to never come in again. I guess this is a lesson that some people have too much power with those all access keys and need to learn how to knock first and put some things into consideration. This particular VP has a grandson only a couple months older than Tre too.
On to the second incident of the day... a little Hispanic Panic came out in me...
On my way back to the classroom after seeing said VP, I stopped for a pee break and discovered that I was bleeding. Since I'm exclusively breastfeeding I didn't expect to get a period until after we introduced solids. I do know that everybody is different but I thought I'd be like my mom and sisters and not get it until 6 months to a year. Then when I went back to my room to get a pad I started feeling abdominal pain and started to freak out wondering if something was wrong with my IUD. So I had to manage dealing with the kids that already arrived as the next class was beginning and call the doctor and call my mom, etc. So I made an appointment then had to find somebody to cover my class, go get admin approval and leave to my appointment. After I got there I took a pregnancy test, thankfully ruled out that possibility and after a quick exam was informed that my strings were fine and I was on my period.! How ridiculous, I'm a 25 year old woman whose been ovulating since I was 9 years old and I had to go to the doctor to be told that I was on my period! I've been told it's probably because even though I pump twice and Tre eats twice while I'm gone, since I'm not feeding on demand or as frequently as I would if I was home with him all day. It's a good thing I didn't listen to my regular doctor who said I could wait till 6 months for the IUD if I wanted... imagine... no thanks... I love kids and pregnancy and all but I want to be exclusively my son's mom for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment