Saturday at Costco, I discovered how affordable farmed trout it. I know there's issues with nutrition of farmed fish as well as ecosystem stability in wild fish so whatever... I bought fish. Jorge's been asking for a long time to do fried fish at home. I have had whole fried fish 3 time sin my life. The first was at his aunt's house the very first time he took me to Ensendada 4 years ago; and the other two times were while I was pregnant at the Oyster Bar. I guess Tre was craving fish in the womb. I decided that now was the time. So the fishies came home with us.
Sunday I fried them up using this recipe but instead filled the pan halfway with organic olive oil since it's the only oil I use for cooking. They came out so delicious, I ate my whole fish and Jorge raved about his every other bite he took.
Then later Sunday we went to my parents for dinner and my dad made a cake. There was no special occasion, he just felt like making a carrot cake since he likes the frosting and instead of using the recipe the family has used for years, he got a new recipe so he could do it in layers and therefore have more frosting on it. While he was making it I happened to call my mom and my dad asked in the background if I had any pointers... Last time I made a carrot cake was for his birthday in August and nobody but me liked it since I used whole wheat flour instead of regular refined flour and it was a little dry. I'm not sure why but since we got our house and new oven all of my baked goods come out dry. I guess I need to learn how to adjust for my new oven. So he really thought he was going to outdo me. And this is what he came out with...
It was edible but by no means delicious. It had no form and just all fell apart. Porter and Liesl took one bite of their pieces then ran to the couch to watch tv. I got so much crap for my meat cake... at least the kids ate it. Come to think of it all of the cakes I've made in the past while have been made fun of for how dry they are or because of the whole wheat... you'd think I'd give up but nope, I like baking and doing it healthfully.
Tuesday I made Betty Crocker's Chicken Pot Pie. The recipe came from my Betty Crocker Cookbook... the best book that was ever given to me... Thanks go to my Mom & Dad for buying it for me my first Christmas out of the family home. I use it all of the time. I made this twice when Jorge and I lived in our first apartment and I began working so hard to show off my skills but it's been over a year. On the side we had Betty Crocker's Coleslaw. I forgot to take a picture so I searched through my 2008 photos since I know I had a picture of the dinner but could not find it anywhere :( It was beautiful though, nice and golden.
And Thursday... Leti made chile rellenos... another recipe Jorge always asks me to do but I never knew how. She was supposed to walk me through it but I ended up holding the baby the whole time and watching her do it. At least now I know why I've never done it and why I'm not going to! She started at 3pm and we finally ate at 6pm! That's one of those extremely special occasion meals. They were of course DELICIOUS and we're glad we have leftovers.
I love chiles rellenos. Next time my mom makes some you need to try them! YUM! Now I am hungry...
ReplyDeleteJess, you need to post about your incident today. I was in the shower but when I read it I laughed out loud!