Sunday, March 7, 2010

Happy Birthday Jorge!

Friday night I went to Vons to buy some last things for Jorge's birthday dinner. When I was heading to check out I inhaled the wonderful fragrance of sweet ripe strawberries. So I turned to look at them and they were on sale at a great price so I picked some up. Saturday morning I made us organic waffles with fresh strawberries and whipped cream... a yummy way to start the day.








Then I began to make his birthday dessert, lemon meringue pie just like last year. I had two Trader Joe's pie crust and when I baked them, they fell into the center of the dish... so I had to throw them away. Since I didn't have anymore pie crust I had to make my own which I hadn't done in many years. I used my Grandma's recipe with whole wheat and of the two, one crust fell in the middle. So I had to make one more! I was so frustrated in the morning but out of 5 pie crusts I ended up getting 2 decent pies. When the pies were finally done we went to the seafood store to buy the octopus and squid. Then came home and I got right to work again on the octopus salad. When that was done I prepared the eggplant Parmesan. So basically I spent the WHOLE day in the kitchen and Jorge took are of the baby.


We were supposed to have 26 people but ended up only being 17. So I prepared way too much food and have a whole dish of eggplant left over. My mom wanted us to take a picture of the baby with all of his grandparents and it was a good idea. Tre is so lucky to have both sets of grandparents married and local... a rarity in this society.



We drank and drank and drank! For the past many birthdays and holidays Jorge has been gifted tequila and this was the opportunity to drink it!


2 comments:

  1. How fun! Homemade pie crust is the best. My mom has a delicious pie crust recipe if you ever want to try it let me know!
    p.s. cool tequila bottles! :P

    ReplyDelete